It Ain't Easy Being Green...

Follow me on Instagram to keep up with all my adventures!

Instagram



Monday, November 24, 2014

Wat Bang Phra and my Sak Yant!

Displaying IMG_20141120_101923.jpg
Wat Bang Phra

I've wanted another tattoo for a while now. About a year ago one of my friends went to Thailand and got one that he liked and told me an interesting story behind it. At the time I hadn't planned my trip, but I told myself that if I did make it to Thailand I would get one as well. So thanks to my buddy Luke I have a legit Sak Yant, done by a real monk.

Amazingly the actual tattooing took only 5 minutes, it was getting there that was the hard part. Wat Bang Phra is about 30 miles from Bangkok. Everything that I had read, advised that we get there early, so Zoe and I woke up at 4:30 and took a taxi to Victory Monument. From there we caught a minibus, which drove us about 40 minutes outside the city, and dropped us off on the highway. From there we hired a motorbike to take us to the temple.

Displaying IMG_20141120_105112.jpg
Bus we took back to Bangkok

Once at the temple, I had to pay 70 Baht ($2) for an offering of flowers of cigarettes to present the monk who would do my tattoo. I was surprised at how few people were there. Even though we did get there quite early, there were only 6 or 7 people ahead of me, and I was the only foreigner. I guess not many people know about this place.

It was finally my turn, and I presented my offering to the monk, and prepared myself for my tattoo. I had no idea what I was getting, the monk chooses it for you. Some people would be turned off by that, but it was half the fun for me. I sat with my back to the monk clutching a pillow, while two men held both of my shoulders. The tattoo didn't really hurt too much, but I have three others, and everyone's threshold for pain is different. It was over quickly, and I ended up receiving the same design as my friend.

Displaying IMG_20141120_084918.jpg
Zoe and I inside the temple

Sak Yants are believed to give mystical powers, as well as provide protection and good luck. Once finished the monk blessed my tattoo, and I was done! Including transportation, the whole process cost me $12, while giving me an experience and souvenir that I'll never forget! 

Displaying IMG_20141120_131632.jpg
The finished product!

No comments:

Post a Comment