It Ain't Easy Being Green...

Follow me on Instagram to keep up with all my adventures!

Instagram



Sunday, November 23, 2014

Bangkok!!!

We left Sihanoukville and made the 20 hour bus journey to Bangkok. Another trip which involved multiple vehicles, and a slow (on Cambodia's part) immigration process.

Displaying IMG_20141116_133836.jpg
The line to exit Cambodia

We finally made it though. I have been looking forward to Thailand throughout our trip, which is why I saved it for last. Bangkok is an amazing city. One of the few places during our travels where I feel like I could actually live, the other being Ho Chi Minh. We made our way to the infamous Khao San Road, found a guesthouse, and walked around. Bangkok has plenty to do, but it felt a bit like Shanghai in the sense that unless you love shopping and drinking, (and have the funds for it) there isn't a lot culturally to see, but Khao San is an attraction all its own. After being in relatively quiet and low key places for the past 1.5 months, it took a bit of readjusting seeing so many other foreigners jam packed into such a small area. Because of the recent coup, things have become a bit more chill on Khao San. The roadside bars close at 2, and sure there were people who were drunk and whatever else, but I didn't witness the debauchery that I saw on The Beach.

Displaying IMG_20141117_134246.jpg    Displaying IMG_20141117_123945.jpg
 Khao San Road during daylight

Even though we were a bit templed out we felt obligated to visit The Grand Palace. It was nice, and definitely the nicest temple/palace we've seen, but after a while they all start to run together. We spent the rest of our time exploring different areas of the city. Siam Square is a cool place full of name brand as well as boutique stores, and a good place for people watching. We also strolled along Sukhummit, which is supposedly where the more affluent tourists stay. That may be true, but vendors were hawking the same stuff there.

Displaying IMG_20141118_110220.jpg   Displaying IMG_20141118_110400.jpg
Displaying IMG_20141118_111707.jpg
The Royal Grand Palace

I'm sure you are wondering, and no we did not visit any ladyboy bars or see any "ping pong shows." Both are massive tourist traps, and while the latter does sound intriguing, I'm not sure I'm even interested in seeing a woman shoot a ball out of her lady parts. I did do one other interesting thing while there, which I'll talk about in my next entry.

Displaying IMG_20141118_145405.jpg  Displaying IMG_20141118_131745.jpg
                Grafitti near Khao San                                 Zoe and I trying to meanmug at Wat Pho

No comments:

Post a Comment